What kind of insurance do you need?

General information about insurance.

Students from the European Economic Area (EEA)

  • You must have health insurance coverage from your home country.
  • Expenses related to dental care and illnesses contracted before arrival in Norway are not covered.
  • The European Health Insurance Card (EHI Card) documents that you are entitled to necessary medical treatment during temporary stays in other EEA countries or in Switzerland.
  • You are entitled to treatment on a par with the citizens of the country where you are staying.
  • If you decide to use private health insurance you have to check with your insurance office as to whether your coverage applies to Norway.
  • You must bring the EHI Card or documentation of private health insurance when you enter Norway.
  • For further information about the correct card/form please check with the nearest health authority office in your home country.
  • Read more about the European Health Insurance Card on the European Commission's website

Students from countries outside the European Economic Area

Staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months

  • If the duration of your stay in Norway is between 3 and 12 months you can apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme.
  • You should fill in a special form entitling you to social security coverage (nav.no) with regard to health services in accordance with the National Insurance Scheme.
  • The form must be sent to the insurance office in the municipality in which you are staying.

Important insurances

  • It is the student's responsibility to make insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property resulting from, or in any way connected with, the study period in Norway.
  • We strongly recommend that you obtain a travel insurance.
  • We recommend that you obtain insurance to protect yourself against any damage that may occur in the student residence.
Published Sep. 27, 2018 8:59 AM - Last modified Oct. 10, 2018 10:42 AM