Facts about the course
- Study points:
- Responsible department:
- Faculty of Logistics
- Course Leader:
- Berit Irene Helgheim
- Lecture Semester:
- Teaching language:
- ½ year
LOG904-142 Intermodal Freight Transport (Autumn 2018)
About the course
This course, deals with intermodal door to door transport where the modal combination involves sea transport as one of the modes. Most attention will be paid to the sea-land intermodal combination, but other combinations will be covered as well. The course focuses on strategic and operational aspects of intermodal transports in a cross disciplinary approach.
- Introduction to intermodal transport
- Intermodal transport technologies
- Intermodal system management and economics
- Analytical frameworks for strategic intermodal system design
Lecturer: Rickard Bergqvist
The course is connected to the following study programs
- Master of Science in Logistics
- Experience-based Master in Logistics
- Master of Science in Petroleum Logistics
- Exchange programme - Master's level
The student's learning outcomes after completing the course
- understand the economic, social and environmental significance of intermodal freight transport.
- describe the main kind of actors and means of transport in an intermodal transport system.
- understand technical and managerial issues related to intermodal transport.
- critically analyze and access the market potential of different sub-segments of the intermodal transport market.
The students should choose a sub-segment that is then analyzed by means of:
- Market analysis (including competitive analysis of different actors ad transport modes)
- System setup (suitable routes, timetables, technologies, infrastructure)
Forms of teaching and learning
Lectures, group work and seminar
- Form of assessment: Home assessment
- Proportion: 100%
- Duration: -
- Grouping: Group
- Grading scale: Letter (A - F)
- Support material: All printed and written supporting material