Facts about the course
- Study points:
- Responsible department:
- Faculty of Logistics
- Course Leader:
- Irina Gribkovskaia
- Lecture Semester:
- Teaching language:
- ½ year
LOG716 Mathematical Modelling in Logistics (Autumn 2019)
About the course
The mathematical models will be related to logistics problems taken from production planning, distribution planning, and combinations of these. The course also deals with logistic relations and the use of discrete variables in modelling. During this semester, the software programme, AMPL with CPLEX, will be used. The course is a combination of selected topics in logistics and an introduction to the use of software programmes.
The course is connected to the following study programs
- Master of Science in Logistics
- Master in Economics and Business Administration
- Master of Science in Petroleum Logistics
- Exchange programme - Master's level
A quantitative background is required.
The student's learning outcomes after completing the course
After completing the module the student will
- get experience and training in developing and solving mathematical models, and to analyze the result
- become familiar with using software to solve linear models.
Forms of teaching and learning
3 hours of lectures per week plus exercises in computer class.
Coursework requirements - conditions for taking the exam
- Mandatory coursework: Assignment(s)
- Courseworks given:
- Courseworks required:
- Presence: Not required
- Comment: Several home assignments
Form of assessment:Oral Examination
Grading scale:Letter (A - F)
Support material: All written and printed aids allowed for the mandatory assignments. In the final oral examination, the students are allowed only to bring their reports written for the mandatory assignments
Comment:Consists of several mandatory assignments that together count 30% of the final grade. A final oral examination counts for the remaining 70% of the final grade.
Required reading list is given in Canvas at the semester start
Robert Fourer, David M. Gay, Brian W. Kernighan, A Modeling Language for Mathematical Programming, Thomson 2nd. Edition, 2003.