This is a 4-year project finaced by The Research Council of Norway under the Transport 2025 programme. The project is led by Møreforsking Molde, with Molde University College, The Institute of Transport Econmics (Oslo), Gothenburg University (Sweden), TNO (The Netherlands), Liverpool John Moores University (UK), Wuhan University of Technology (China), Edinburgh Napier University (UK) and University of Newcastle (UK) as project partners.
A lot of the manufactures sold by European retailers have their origin in China, and are transported in containers to Europe. The typical way this is done is that each manufacturer in China sends full containers to the European distribution point, where cargo is crossdocked into trailers or units destined for the final retailing point in European countries. After cross-docking much of this cargo is lost for the maritime transport business. If we could combine cargo from several Chinese manufacturers at a cross-docking facility in China - to prepare full containerloads for each retailing point in Europe, then the likelihood of those shipments being made by ships also on the last leg will increase. This will in turn relieve congested European road networks and reduce emissions from freight transport.
- Ning Lin; Harald M. Hjelle; Kevin Cullinane; Rickard Y Bergqvist; Olav Eidhammer; Yuhong Wang; Zaili Yang & Zhuohua Qu (2016). Potential solutions to upstream buyer consolidation in the China-Europe container trades : An exploratory study, I: David Hensher; Juliang Zhang; Guowei Hua; Mincong Tang; Xiaowen Fu & Runtong Zhang (red.), International Conference on Logistics, Informatics and Service Sciences (LISS 2016) : Proceeding. IEEE. ISBN 978-1-5090-1101-8. Konferanseartikkel. s 1 - 11
- Ning Lin; Harald M. Hjelle & Rickard Y Bergqvist (2017). Cost Saving Potential of Upstream Buyer Consolidation and Downstream Intermodal Rail-based Solutions in the China-Europe Container Trades.
- Ning Lin & Harald M. Hjelle (2017). CO2 EMISSIONS MITAGATION POTENTIAL OF BUYER CONSOLIDATION ACTIVITY AND RAIL-BASED INTERMODAL TRANSPORT IN THE CHINA-EUROPE CONTAINER SUPPLY CHAINS.
- Harald M. Hjelle (2016). Hvilken godstransportform er mest miljøvennlig?.
- Ning Lin; Harald M. Hjelle; Kevin Cullinane; Olav Eidhammer; Rickard Y Bergqvist; Yuhong Wang; Zaili Yang & Zhuohua Qu (2016). Upstream Buyer Consolidation and Downstream Short Sea Shipping in the Asia-Europe Sea Container Supply Chain – An Exploratory Study.
- Ning Lin; Harald M. Hjelle; Kevin Cullinane; Rickard Y Bergqvist; Olav Eidhammer; Yuhong Wang; Zaili Yang & Zhuohua Qu (2016). Potential Solutions to Upstream Buyer Consolidation in the China-Europe Container Trades.
- (2016). Skoas reise og klimaavtrykk. Høgskolen i Molde forskar på potensialet for meir klimagunstig sjøkontainarfrakt for langreiste varer..
- Harald M. Hjelle (2016). Dine skos miljøfotavtrykk kan bli mindre. Romsdals Budstikke.. ISSN 0806-5160. s 38- 39
- (2015). Varestrømmer fra Kina kan gi mer gods på kjøl.