Transport Research Group (TRG)
Transport Research Group is a national strongpoint for transport research and includes 20 researchers. The group includes researchers from both Molde University College and the research institute Møreforsking.
Transport policy and appraisal
Members of the group do extensive research within cost-benefit analysis, public transport and funding and purchase of transport services.
Transport flow modelling
For several decades TRG has had a central role in the development of the transport models for personal travels used in Norway. The models are also frequently applied and tested in different projects.
Freight and logistics
Members of the group do research within both intermodal transport and efficiency studies of ports.
Halpern, Nigel; Budd, Thomas; Suau-Sanchez, Pere; Bråthen, Svein; Mwesiumo, Deodat Edward (2021). Conceptualising airport digital maturity and dimensions of technological and organisational transformation. Journal of Airport Management.
Halpern, Nigel; Mwesiumo, Deodat Edward; Suau-Sanchez, Pere; Budd, Thomas; Bråthen, Svein (2021). Ready for digital transformation? : the effect of organisational readiness, innovation, airport size and ownership on digital change at airports. Journal of Air Transport Management 2021; Volum 90. Suppl. 101949 s. 1-11
Odeck J & H S Høyem (2020). The impact of competitive tendering on operational costs and market concentration in public transport: the Norwegian car ferry services. Research in Transportation Economics 2020
Høyem, H S & J Odeck (2020). Optimal public transit frequency under stochastic demand and fixed vehicle size: application in the Norwegian car ferry sector. Research in Transportation Economics 2020; Volum 82 (October) s. 1-14
Odeck J & H Schøyen (2020). Productivity and convergence in Norwegian container seaports: An SFA-based Malmquist productivity index approach. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2020 ;Volum 137. (July) s. 222-239
Holmgren, J. Ivehammar, P. (2020) Mode choice in home-to-work travel in mid-size towns: The competitiveness of public transport when bicycling and walking are viable options, Transportation Research Procedia, Vol 48, pp. 1635-1643, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2020.08.204
Merkel, A. Holmgren, J. (2020) On track towards improved regional development? – Impacts of the Svealand rail line on labour earnings in the Mälaren region, European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, Vol 20, pp. 17-33, https://doi.org/10.18757/ejtir.2020.20.1.3878
Holmgren, J. (2020) The effect of public transport quality on car ownership: a source of wider benefits?, Research in Transportation Economics, Vol 83, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2020.100957
McTigue, Clare, Tom Rye, and Jason Monios. "Identifying barriers to implementation of local transport policy–Lessons learned from case studies on bus policy implementation in Great Britain." Transport Policy (2020).
Fountas, G., Fonzone, A., Gharavi, N., & Rye, T. (2020). The joint effect of weather and lighting conditions on injury severities of single-vehicle accidents. Analytic Methods in Accident Research, 100124.
Mohamed, M. J., T. Rye, and A. Fonzone. "The utilisation and user characteristics of Uber services in London." Transportation Planning and Technology (2020): 1-18.
Rye, T., & Hrelja, R. (2020). Policies for Reducing Car Traffic and Their Problematisation. Lessons from the Mobility Strategies of British, Dutch, German and Swedish Cities. Sustainability, 12(19), 8170.
Evangelinos C., Staub N., Marcucci E., Gatta V. (2020). The impact of airport parking fees on the tourist's airport/airline choice behaviour. JOURNAL OF AIR TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT, 90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2020.101961.
Simoni, M.D., Marcucci, E., Gatta, V., Claudel, C.G. (2020). Potential last-mile impacts of crowdshipping services: a simulation-based evaluation. TRANSPORTATION, 47: 1933–1954. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11116-019-10028-4.
Welde, Morten; Bråthen, Svein; Rekdal, Jens Ludvig; Zhang, Wei (2020). Road investments and the trade-off between private and public funding. Research in Transportation Economics 2020 ;Volum 82.(October) s. 1-9.
Bråthen, Svein; Hoff, Karoline Louise (2020). Economic impact assessment of regulatory changes : a case study of a proposed new ICAO standard for contaminated runways. Sustainability 2020 ;Volum 12.(15) s. 1-27.
Bråthen, Svein; Laingen, Maria; Torgersen, Paul; Woldseth, Merethe Kristin (2020). Samspillprosjekter i bygg- og anleggsbransjen. Trondheim: Ex ante akademisk forlag 2020 (ISBN 978-82-93253-95-2) 128 s. Concept rapport(61)
- Hansson, Lisa (2020). Visual representation in urban transport planning : Where have all the cars gone?. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. ISSN 0965-8564. 133(March), s 1- 11 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2019.11.027.
- Hansson, Lisa (2020). Regulatory governance in emerging technologies : the case of autonomous vehicles in Sweden and Norway. Research in Transportation Economics. ISSN 0739-8859. 83(November), s 1- 10 . doi: 10.1016/j.retrec.2020.100967
- Müller, Falko & Aravazhi, Agaraoli (2020). A new generalized travel cost based connectivity metric applied to Scandinavian airports. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.
- Tolcha, Tassew Dufera, Svein Bråthen, and Johan Holmgren (2020). Air transport demand and economic development in sub-Saharan Africa: Direction of causality. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Ning Lin, Harald M. Hjelle & Rickard Bergqvist (2020): The impact of an upstream buyer consolidation and downstream intermodalrail-based solution on logistics cost in the China-Europe container trades, Case Studies on Transport Policy, Vol 8:3
- Tveter, Eivind (2020): Explaining differences in ex-ante calculations of wider economic impacts: a review of 55 calculations. Case Studies on Transport Policy.
- Yang, Z., Wang, Y., Li, D., Hjelle, HM., et al. (2020): Challenges and developments in integrated container supply chains – A research agenda on Europe-China research network on integrated container supply chains (ENRICH) project in Collaborative logistics and intermodality: integration in supply chain network models and solutions for global environments, Springer ISBN 978-3-030-50958-3
- Zhang, Wei; Tveter, Eivind; Mwesiumo, Deodat Edward (2020): Exploring tourists’ experiences using digital resources: analyzing Chinese tourists visiting the Geiranger fjord using travel blogs. I: Digital samhandling: Fjordantologien 2020
- Delle Site P., Kilani K., Gatta V., Marcucci E., de Palma A., (2019) Estimation of consistent Logit and Probit models using best, worst and best–worst choices. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART B: METHODOLOGICAL, 128, 87-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trb.2019.07.014.
- Gatta V., Marcucci E., Nigro M., Patella S.M., Serafini S. (2019). Public Transport-Based Crowdshipping for Sustainable City Logistics: Assessing Economic and Environmental Impacts. SUSTAINABILITY, 11(1), 1-14, ISSN 2071-1050.
- Gatta V., Marcucci E., Delle Site P., Le Pira M., Carrocci C.S. (2019). Planning with stakeholders: Analysing alternative off-hour delivery solutions via an interactive multi-criteria approach. RESEARCH IN TRANSPORTATION ECONOMICS, 73, 53-62, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2018.12.004. ISSN 0739-8859.
- Rye, T, and Wretstrand, A. (2019) Swedish and Scottish National Transport Policy and Spend: A Social Equity Analysis. Sustainability 11.7 (2019): 1894.
- Pomponi, F., D’Amico B., and Rye T. (2019) Who Is (Likely) Peer-Reviewing Your Papers? A Partial Insight into the World’s Top Reviewers. Publications: 15.
- Akgün, E. Z., Monios, J., Rye, T., & Fonzone, A. (2019). Influences on urban freight transport policy choice by local authorities. Transport Policy, 75, 88-98.
- Mohamed, Mohamed Jama, Tom Rye, and Achille Fonzone. "Operational and policy implications of ridesourcing services: A case of Uber in London, UK." Case Studies on Transport Policy 7.4 (December 2019): 823-836.
- Tischer, V., Fountas, G., Polette, M., & Rye, T. (2019). Environmental and economic assessment of traffic-related air pollution using aggregate spatial information: A case study of Balneário Camboriú, Brazil. Journal of Transport & Health, 14, (September) 100592.
- Lieberherr, Eva; Hansson, Lisa; Leiren, Merethe Dotterud & Schmid, Jonas (2019). Adapting accountability and emerging challenges : contracting-out in the transport sector in Switzerland, Norway and Sweden. Scandinavian Journal of Public Administration. ISSN 2001-7405. 23(2), s 57- 77
- Hansson, Lisa & Torsteinsen, Harald (2019). Providing ’hard’ local government services in a multi-level, multi-actor system. Scandinavian Journal of Public Administration. ISSN 2001-7405. 23(2), s 3- 11
- Hansson, Lisa (2019). Public administrators’ roles in the policy adaptation of transport directives : how knowledge is created and reproduced. Transport Policy. ISSN 0967-070X. s 1- 9 . doi: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2019.10.008
- Svindland, M; Hjelle, H. M. (2019) The comparative CO2 efficiency of short sea container transport. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment Vol 77.
- Gatta, Valerio; Marcucci, Edoardo; Nigro, Marialisa; Serafini, Simone (2019):. Sustainable urban freight transport adopting public transport-based crowdshipping for B2C deliveries. European Transport Research Review 2019 ;Volum 11.(13) s. 1-14.
- Hansson, Lisa; Nerhagen, Lena. Regulatory Measurements in Policy Coordinated Practices: The Case of Promoting Renewable Energy and Cleaner Transport in Sweden. Sustainability 2019 ;Volum 11.(6).
- Svindland, Morten; Monios, Jason; Hjelle, Harald M. Port rationalization and the evolution of regional port systems : the case of Norway. Maritime Policy & Management 2019 ;Volum 46.(5) s. 613-629
- Svindland, M; Hjelle, H. M. (2019). The comparative CO2 efficiency of short sea container transport. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment Vol 77.
- Hansson, Lisa & Weinholt, Åsa (2018). New Frontline Actors Emerging from Cross-Sector Collaboration: Examples from the Fire and Rescue Service Sector. Public Organization Review. ISSN 1566-7170. 19(4), s 519- 539 . doi: 10.1007/s11115-018-0416-8.
- McTigue, Clare, Monios J, and Rye T (2018). Identifying barriers to implementation of local transport policy: an analysis of bus policy in Great Britain. Utilities Policy 50 (2018): 133-143.
- McTigue, Clare, Tom Rye, and Jason Monios. The role of reporting mechanisms in transport policy implementation by local authorities in England. Case studies on transport policy 6.3 (2018): 319-328.
- Paulsson, A., Isaksson, K., Sørensen, C. H., Hrelja, R., Rye, T., & Scholten, C. (2018). Collaboration in public transport planning–Why, how and what?. Research in Transportation Economics, 69, 377-385.
- Hrelja, R., Rye, T. and Mullen, C (2018) Partnerships between operators and public transport authorities. Working practices in relational contracting and collaborative partnerships. Transportation Research Part A, 116, 327-338.
- Marcucci, E., Gatta, V., Le Pira, M. (2018). Gamification design to foster stakeholder engagement and behavior change: an application to urban freight transport. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART A: POLICY AND PRACTICE, 118, 119-132, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2018.08.028.
- Lozzi, G., Gatta, V., Marcucci, E. (2018). European urban freight transport policies and research funding: are priorities and H2020 calls aligned?. REGION, 5(1), 53-71.
- Polinori, P., Marcucci, E., Gatta, V., Bigerna, S., Bollino, C.A., Micheli, S. (2018). Eco-labeling and sustainable urban freight transport: How much are people willing to pay for green logistics?. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF TRANSPORT ECONOMICS, Vol. XLV/4, pp 631-658.
- Evangelinos, Christos; Tscharaktschiew, Stefan; Marcucci, Edoardo; Gatta, Valerio. Pricing workplace parking via cash-out : effects on modal choice and implications for transport policy. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2018 ;Volum 113.
- Holmgren, Johan. The effects of using different output measures in efficiency analysis of public transport operations. Research in Transportation Business and Management (RTBM) 2018.
- Hansson, Lisa; Holmgren, Johan. Cost effect of reorganising : a study of special transport services. Research in Transportation Economics 2018 ;Volum 69.(September) s. 453-459
- Merkel, Axel Patrick. Competitive intensity and inefficiency in European container ports: an empirical investigation using SFA. Maritime Business Review 2018; Volum 3.(2) s. 165-184.
- Bråthen, Svein; Eriksen, Knut Sandberg. Regional aviation and the PSO system: level of Service and social efficiency. Journal of Air Transport Management 2018 ;Volum 69.(June) s. 248-256.
- Eivind Tveter.Using impacts on commuting as an initial test of wider economic benefits of transport improvements : evidence from the Eiksund Connection. Case Studies on Transport Policy 2018 ;Volum 6.(4) s. 803-814.
Tveter, Eivind; Mørkrid, Geir Vasseljen. Beregningsmetodikk for netto ringvirkninger av samferdselsinvestering. Møreforsking Molde AS 2019. Rapport: Møreforsking Molde/1813.
Hoff, Karoline Louise; Rekdal, Jens Ludvig; Zhang, Wei; Svendsen, Hilde Johanne; Bråthen, Svein. Trafikkanalyse for Høgsfjorden : grunnlaget for fortsatt drift av ferjesambandet Lauvvik-Oanes. Rapport: Møreforsking Molde/1803.
Bråthen, Svein; Hoff, Karoline Louise; Lyche, Lage; Svendsen, Hilde Johanne.
Economic impact assessment of the new ICAO standard for contaminated runways: a case study of four Norwegian airports. Rapport: Møreforsking Molde/1804.
Jens, Rekdal, Stefan Flügel, Tom N. Hamre, Christian Stensland, Anne Madslien, Berit Grue, Wei Zhang, Odd I. Larsen. 1414 NTM6 - Transportmodeller for reiser lengre enn 70 km. Rapport: Møreforsking Molde/1414.
Bråthen, Svein; Thune-Larsen, Harald; Svendsen, Hilde Johanne; Hoff, Karoline Louise; Tveter, Eivind; Müller, Falko; Aarhaug, Jørgen.
Forslag til offentlig kjøp av regionale flyruter i Sør-Norge: for avtaleperioden 1. april 2020 - 31. mars 2024. Rapport: Møreforsking 1801
- 2018 NECTAR Cluster 2 meeting on E-groceries, digitalization and sustainability.
- 2016 NECTAR Cluster 1 (Transport Networks) on the wider economic impacts of transport.
- 2013 Seminar om "mernytte" av stor transportinvesteringer sammen med Statens vegvesen.
TRG Research seminar 2018 - 2019
The group has monthly research seminars with presentations from the TRG members and visiting scholars. The event is free and open to all.
|17.10.2018||12:00||Møreforsking||Deodat Mwesiumo||The impact of service attribute failure on passenger´s likelihood to promote an airport online|
|14.11.2018||14:00||HiMolde||James Odeck||Do policy makers choose the most efficient projects?|
|22.11.2018||14:00||Møreforsking||James Laird||Wider economic impacts of regional air services|
|12.12.2018||12:00||Møreforsking||Ning Lin||Evaluation of Asia-Europe sea container supply chain configurations – The impact of upstream store-level consolidation activity on supply chain performance|
|16.01.2019||12:00||HiMolde||Axel Merkel||Regional productivity effects of reduced maritime transport costs – Evidence from a treatment-control approach|
|13.02.2019||12:00||Møreforsking||Erik Johansson||Estimating wage effects from commuting rails|
Multi-port system traffic analysis using compositional data and Introduction to Cruise market at Mediterranean Sea
|08.05.2019||12:00||TBA||Tom Ryel (TBC)||TBA|
TBA - to be announced
TBC - to be confirmed
- Svein Bråthen
- Olav Hauge
- Lisa Hansson
- Harald Martin Hjelle
- Edoardo Marcucci
- Johan Holmgren
- Falko Müller
- Tassew Dufera Tolcha
- Karoline Louise Hoff
- Tom Rye
- Morten Svindland
- Deodat Edward Mwesiumo
- James Oyugi Odeck
- Eivind Tveter (Leder)
- Maria Laingen
- Anne Gudrun Mork
- Jens Rekdal
- Valerio Gatta